Skip to main content

Bunny Run 2019

This weekend was the Habitat for San Angelo Humanity Bunny Run.  The race normally takes place around Easter (that's how it got its name), but was postponed twice due to bad weather.  So, instead of a starting temp in the 50s, we were in the upper 70s.  The double reschedule also seemingly affected the attendance, with maybe 25-40 runners at the start. 
The course is a San Angelo favorite, going around Santa Fe park and following the riverwalk
Kid's Kingdom
 (photo credit: Discover San Angelo)
up to Central High school.  The 10k course followed the riverwalk under the 306/67 loop before heading back to the start/finish line at Kid's Kingdom (a local playground).
Since I've been mostly out of commission for the past six weeks, I really just wanted to see what I could do for a 5k.  The training program I semi-randomly picked is saying I should be under 24 minutes if I'm trying to shoot for sub 22.  Right now, my goal is to see if I can't go under 22 again at this year's Shannon Pink Ribbon Run. (2017 Ribbon Run race report here)  The Shannon Pink Ribbon Run is the largest race in San Angelo, often attracting 200 runners, but it also normally is measured short.  That makes sub 22 that much more doable.  Not sure if I'll stick to the specific training plan, but it's given me a scaffolding to add to my lifting plan for the year.
the start/finish line after finishing
 I've been doing a lot of "2 a days" lately, and my running has really suffered.  Furthermore, the temperature has been around 100 most days, reaching above 105 on a few occasions last week.  So, if I want to run, it's got to be by 5 am, or in the heat.  I really had no idea what to expect for this race.  Especially with how I ran Wednesday morning, when I had a hard time holding a 7:45 pace for 800m, I was thinking I might be as slow as 25:30. 
Anyway, I arrived at the starting line just in time to hear the end of the race brief.  I felt good and I had some jammin tunes.  Dennis and I even ended up running together a bit early on.  However, he was shooting for a sub 46 10k, and I was just trying to see if I could get sub 24.
I was able to keep decently consistent.  Miles 2 and 3 were a bit slower, but there was only about a 40 second difference.  Not as bad as I expected.  The time was pretty decent too - 23:49.  I guess that means I'm in good enough shape to get in good enough shape. 
One drawback at a small race is that there's not always someone to help push you.  For much of the last mile, I couldn't see the person in front of me nor the person behind me.  All I had to motivate me really was my watch.  I wanted to see if I could meet that time goal.  I wonder if I'd have been any faster if I had more competition around my speed.
A positive note on small races is that everyone placed in their age group!  The winner ran around 19:30, with second place (and first female) coming in around two minutes later.  I ended up in fourth, winning my age group.  I'm not too sure if/when the full results will be posted online.
I tried taking a neat pic... this is what I came up with.  Nice little medal

Looking ahead, I'm thinking about joining the 3R training group here in town.  I haven't been part of a dedicated training group for years, so it'll be fun (and maybe necessary if I want to improve) to get at it again.  I know most of the runners, so it won't be a completely new group.  My first group run with them will be.... stupid early Tuesday morning.  Here's hoping it goes well!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Athens! (part 1)

 OK, I'm going to try and get through this since I'm caught up on homework.  Well friends, we last left off  with us arriving in Piraeus port in Athens late at night. Our ride into town to the hotel was informative. From far off we could see the lit-up Acropolis high on the hill. The streets were mostly empty and we could see that nearly every free surface was covered with graffiti.  And that's as far as I got during my first week of class. It's now been almost three months since we disembarked in Athens so my memory is fading on some of the details of these pictures. I'll be doing more digging this time around. On a positive note, I scored a 94% in my Theory of International Relations course. OK, here we go. Rick Steves opens up the pocket Athens guide with this passage:     "Most of Athens is a noisy, polluted modern sprawl: characterless,       poorly planned, and hastily  erected concrete suburbs that house       the area's rapidly expanding population.

Delphi

 On our second full day in Athens , we decided to take an excursion to Delphi with a tour group. Our trip to Delphi was where I cemented my retirement plan. Although, I feel like Mila won't be going with me. Anyway, we had to meet the bus across the street early in the morning. After my daily "Kalimera!" and coffee from the ladies at On the Road across the street, getting ready, and having a little freak out moment while watching not our bus drive off, we caught the correct bus.  Our tour guide Mariana was a fount of information as we rode through Athens. I chuckled to myself as we passed Heinrich Schliemann's house, now a museum, and Mariana sang his praises. As we learned in Our Fake History , Schliemann did a lot of good.  He just did it through sheisty methods. He reignited interest in Ancient Greece during the 19th century and is considered the Father of Archaeology. However, he was not above simply deciding that what he found was exactly what he was looking or e

Not Crying for Argentina (Buenos Aires part 1)

Good evening Jordan, it's Sunday and this series comes to you in at least 3 parts. We'll see how long these posts get with the preposterous amount of pictures we were taking. Now, I can say that I started my post on the day we bot back. I will have to take a day or two organizing and editing pictures, so I'll be right back. Promise you won't even know I've left. See? Bueno As has been the ongoing theme for a while now, our planned vacation spot was Peru. This would be attempt #3 to go eat lomo salteado and hang out with alpacas, but as we were starting our initial planning phases, Macchu Picchu was closed down due to protests. With that being such a center piece of a Peruvian plan, we decided to hold off. again. However, we decided to keep it to the same continent. Our highest rated spot was Argentina (yes, we have solo and combined updated top 15 vacation destinations lists) and Gabriel had gone there the year before, giving us some good ideas. I was in school thro