Skip to main content

Shannon Pink Ribbon Run and a self made 50K

Unintentionally, October is going to be race month.  I have at least one race per weekend all month.  This past weekend I ran the Shannon Pink Ribbon Run 5k.  The race is by far the largest in San Angelo and raises money for breast cancer research and care.
Overhead shot of runners gathering for the 5k/10k start (photo credit: Shannon Medical Center)

 Because it is so large, it typically attracts the fastest runners in town.  This year was no exception and the field was even faster than last year's.  Last year I ran 21:08 and placed 4th, that time would have placed me 11th this year.  One of my students, a former D1 800m runner, won the 5k with a 17:12 and a former Angelo State University runner won the 10k in 37:06, 3 minutes in front of 2nd place!  The only negative about the race is that it's just a little short.  The 5k course is just shy of 3 miles and the 10k course is about 6 miles.  All in all, it's a fun race for a great cause.  It's definitely a race I will be doing every time I'm here in town.

It was a pretty morning, just a little warmer than I'd like it though. It was in the mid 70s at the start but probably around 80 by time people were finishing the 10k.
There were plenty of police protecting us on the course

 The hospital let us park in their parking lots, so that was convenient.  They also had a zumba instructor leading a zumba warmup.

some zumba action

Before the 5k and 10k start, they had a 1 mile dash.


Why yes, that's a bunny in the middle of the picture


The "viva la vida sin cancer" group that won the "best group award"
I got too excited and started too quickly.  I was hoping to go under 21 minutes on a course that I assumed would be a bit short.  I ran a 6:52 first mile but then started to get tired.  By the third mile, I was struggling to hold a 7:20 pace.  I had a guy in sight in front of me that even took a walk break, but I just could not close that gap.  And yes, I did get outsprinted over the last 200m by a man in his 50s but I just had nothing left.  I'm OK with my time, but I wish I would have run more consistently.  I finished in 21:22, which would have been around 22:10 on a full course.  It was good enough for 12th overall out of 306 (the first time in a while that I haven't finished top 10 in a San Angelo race) and 2/16 in my age group.  The real speed was in the two age groups under me as 9 of the top 10 runners were under 29 years old.  



Shannon posted this video of the 5k/10k start.


Cheerleaders from a local school came out to cheer us on at the finish line and I actually like this finish line shot of me.

The Vickreys were just some of the people out there pushing strollers and running.

Some of the 5k and 10k finishers coming to the line.

Matt Lindsey finishing up the 10K, he came in 2nd.


Sam King, the women's 10K winner.  She smoked me in the 5k last year.




Some more of the Viva la vida sin cancer ladies cheering on finishers
Well, that's Tim.  He's our RWB chapter president
strong finish Tim!


Still happy about that IHOP run idea Dennis?

Dick Williams collecting his first place trophy.  His 17:12, fastest time in the city over the last few years.
The female winner, she ran a 19:11.  Yes, you read that right. (photo credit: Shannon Medical center)

Hey, it's me! rocking last year's race T (photo credit: Shannon Medical Center)
solid smile there Tim.  He came in 3rd in his division (photo credit: Shannon Medical Center)
Jen took 3rd in her division in the 10K (photo credit: Shannon Medical Center)
My Hurache Turbo buddy Juan (in the red) won his division in the 5k (photo credit: Shannon Medical Center)
I picked up Kent's 1st place medal for him.  He won the 10K 60-69 year old division, came in 8th overall

The reason we were there, the breast cancer survivors' group (photo credit: Shannon Medical Center)
This year's race shirt is the same material as last year's and that's great.  Again, it was a great race and I'll be happy to run it again next year!
I'll be working on the 5k and middle distance and the 5k rankings update should be included in my next entry.
As I'm building up for the Wild Hare 50 mile trail race (As I detailed here), I'm getting in some of the longest training runs of my life.  This weekend I ran a 50k.  As with the 1/2 marathon last week, I'll give it the GBU treatment and add my many pics.

Good:

Most of the run could fall under this.  I hit my two speed/pace goals.  I figure I'll need to run 11 minute miles on the 50 miler to hit my 10 hour goal (the extra time for aid stations, eating, etc.) and I was able to do that, averaging 10:45.
My other speed goal was to keep up with Mila on the KOA loop (she tends to speed up the hills there) and I was able to do that.
As opposed to last week, there was no chafing or blood.  Or blisters! 
Mila and Dennis came out and ran with me for about 14 of the Ks.
Nutrition seemed to go well, with only 4 Gus, a handful of berries, and one of my macadamia nut/coconut bars doing the trick.
I didn't really hit a wall. I slowed down but I didn't necessarily have to.
That post run epsom salt soak was money.

The Bad:

There was an early morning storm that pushed my start time for 6 am to 730
I just missed running with the "weekend runaways" group.  
I didn't know the route super well.  As I was planning it, I had a couple neat looking roads scouted out.  When I got to the them, turns out they're private and closed.
I ran out of water around mile 28 but had more in the truck at the finish at least.

The Ugly:

How I'm walking around today.
The Taco Bell I slammed last night left me feeling super guilty.
The early morning beach view

The sun was just starting to come up as I started

I saw a bunch of deer out there, maybe 20-25 but they scurried off whenever I tried to take a picture


saw lots of gobbles too

didn't get close enough to get great pics though

Spring Creek Marina

4 miles and rocking the Carrera shirt for "old times'" sake


a quiet road out by the spillway.  I saw one other runner out there and that was it

I really appreciated Dennis meeting me at mile 13 and running 5 miles.  He's smiling cuz he's done, I'm grimacing cuz I still have 13 left.

KOA is soooo close.  But I was only at mile 21 and had to run another 6 miles before meeting Mila and her mom

MCP


over the hill at the marathon mark.  At that point I'd run for 4:32 and was feeling good

resting at the top of a hill

When'd she get so fast?

we finished our 2 mile loop and I still had 1.5 left

DONE!  I was able to "run" the last mile in 10:04, so I was happy with that.  Can't you tell?
50K is the longest training run on my schedule.  I've got two more 20+ mile runs to take care of then it'll truly be taper time.  One month left!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Athens! (part 1)

 OK, I'm going to try and get through this since I'm caught up on homework.  Well friends, we last left off  with us arriving in Piraeus port in Athens late at night. Our ride into town to the hotel was informative. From far off we could see the lit-up Acropolis high on the hill. The streets were mostly empty and we could see that nearly every free surface was covered with graffiti.  And that's as far as I got during my first week of class. It's now been almost three months since we disembarked in Athens so my memory is fading on some of the details of these pictures. I'll be doing more digging this time around. On a positive note, I scored a 94% in my Theory of International Relations course. OK, here we go. Rick Steves opens up the pocket Athens guide with this passage:     "Most of Athens is a noisy, polluted modern sprawl: characterless,       poorly planned, and hastily  erected concrete suburbs that house       the area's rapidly expanding population.

Delphi

 On our second full day in Athens , we decided to take an excursion to Delphi with a tour group. Our trip to Delphi was where I cemented my retirement plan. Although, I feel like Mila won't be going with me. Anyway, we had to meet the bus across the street early in the morning. After my daily "Kalimera!" and coffee from the ladies at On the Road across the street, getting ready, and having a little freak out moment while watching not our bus drive off, we caught the correct bus.  Our tour guide Mariana was a fount of information as we rode through Athens. I chuckled to myself as we passed Heinrich Schliemann's house, now a museum, and Mariana sang his praises. As we learned in Our Fake History , Schliemann did a lot of good.  He just did it through sheisty methods. He reignited interest in Ancient Greece during the 19th century and is considered the Father of Archaeology. However, he was not above simply deciding that what he found was exactly what he was looking or e

Not Crying for Argentina (Buenos Aires part 1)

Good evening Jordan, it's Sunday and this series comes to you in at least 3 parts. We'll see how long these posts get with the preposterous amount of pictures we were taking. Now, I can say that I started my post on the day we bot back. I will have to take a day or two organizing and editing pictures, so I'll be right back. Promise you won't even know I've left. See? Bueno As has been the ongoing theme for a while now, our planned vacation spot was Peru. This would be attempt #3 to go eat lomo salteado and hang out with alpacas, but as we were starting our initial planning phases, Macchu Picchu was closed down due to protests. With that being such a center piece of a Peruvian plan, we decided to hold off. again. However, we decided to keep it to the same continent. Our highest rated spot was Argentina (yes, we have solo and combined updated top 15 vacation destinations lists) and Gabriel had gone there the year before, giving us some good ideas. I was in school thro